Thursday, September 8, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe


I have finally found a delicious vegan chocolate cake recipe amazingly similar to my grandmother's trademark chocolate cake. I found the recipe while searching 'vegan' on Food.com. My grandmother originally clipped her recipe out of a magazine and started baking it regularly when my cousin developed a milk allergy when she was a child. I had no idea it was completely vegan until I was older. Up until I got married and moved away, she baked it as my birthday cake every year. This recipe does includes directions for icing, which I didn't do as I'm not a huge icing fan (the picture above is my finished product, my deliciously naked cake).

Part of what I love about this recipe and my grandmother's recipe is that the cake comes out very rich and moist without being too heavy.

I can't wait for dessert time this evening when I'll be able to show off my accomplishment to my vegan-naysayer of a husband!

For the cake:

Dry:

1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar (I used cane sugar)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

3 tablespoons cocoa powder

Wet:

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used pure vanilla, not artificial)

1 tablespoon vinegar

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 cup cold water

For the frosting:

2 tablespoons earth balance butter (or other vegan margarine/butter)

1 1/3 cups powdered sugar

1/3 cups cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2-4 tablespoons water

Directions:

For the cake:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl
  3. Make a well in the centre and add wet ingredients
  4. Stir until mixture batter is smooth
  5. Pour into greased 9X9 baking dish*
  6. Bake for 30 minutes**
For the frosting;
  1. Cream the 'butter' in a bowl
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients to make a thick but spreadable frosting.
* I used a 7X11 baking dish and it was fine, if a little thin. You can also use a cupcake pan, it will make 8 cupcakes.
** After 30 minutes it should pass the tooth pick test, tooth pick should come out clean. If not cook for longer in 5 minute increments to not over do it. My cake cooked perfectly in 30 minutes, but I know everybody's stove is different.

To see the original recipe please click HERE.

Happy cake baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment