Friday, October 7, 2011

Outrageous Vegan Banana Bread

I made this delicious vegan banana bread recipe on Wednesday afternoon and there's hardly any of it left. I have to actively try not to scarf it down when I'm left alone with it during the day. The recipe yields a banana bread with a more moist cake-like texture, and a sweet crispy/chewy crust.

The recipe is easy to put together, with only ten minutes of prep time, although a warning: the batter is very thick and gloopy. I wasn't strong enough to mix it by hand so I used an electric hand mixter to get the batter as smooth as it'll get.

I also think mine could have baked for another five minutes or so, but it was fine anyway, it passed the toothpick test. I think it's because I added more banana's than the recipe originally called for. My overripe bananas, that I'd been saving especially for this, where very small organic bananas, so even though I used six like the recipe required I didn't end up with enough wet product to fully mix into the dry product. So I eyeballed it and added another two larger bananas and that seemed to work out well.

I'll pretty much do anything for a good banana bread, I was raised on my grandmother's and have since experimented with store bought and husband-baked, and so far this is the best! I might even try adding chocolate chips in next time (it will remain vegan if they are vegan carob nips or other dairy-free options, might also be nice with crushed walnuts).

Vegan Banana Bread

Ingredients:

6 Medium Bananas, mashed (eyeball it if you don't have enough)

1 cup Sugar (I used organic unrefined cane sugar)

1 tsp Vanilla Extract (make sure it's real vanilla and not just vanilla flavouring)

2 cups Flour (I used unbleached all purpose)

1 tsp Baking Soda

1 tsp Baking Powder

Cinnamon - to taste (I used two generous pinches)

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix together bananas, sugar and vanilla
  3. Add dry ingredients and mix together until blended (I couldn't do it by hand, you might want to try some sort of electric mixer)
  4. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish or a loaf pan (I used a loaf pan)
  5. Bake for 1 hour or slightly longer until it passes the toothpick test (toothpick once inserted must come out clean)
  6. Allow it to cool before turning out on a cooling rack.
  7. Enjoy a warm piece of perfection!
To see the original recipe please click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment