Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pita Break Lavash Crackers

I discovered the (vegan) Pita Break Lavash Cracker "Organic Spelt" flavor while rushing around a Loblaws a couple of months ago when my mother-in-law's unexpected visit led to my husband and I hosting dinner with one of the guests being hardcore vegan. I know what it is like to go to a party or be invited to dinner and not have my dietary restriction accommodated. I have also been to ones that have been accommodating, and I am always pleasantly surprised and deeply grateful when it happens (although, as other experiences have shown, it is wise not to expect it). I wanted to extend her the same courtesy.

This flavor happens to be vegan, but not all Pita Break Lavash Crackers are. Most of the other flavors contain honey. As far as I know, the "Organic Spelt" crackers are the only ones that don't. I really enjoy them. I like products that have a small list of ingredients I can fully understand - I like to know exactly what I am eating - and I also like things that are very healthy but don't compromise on flavor.

The packaging proclaims "Source of Omega-3 Polyunsaturates" "Free of Artificial Preservatives" and "Low in Fat; 0 trans fat". Per cracker (keep in mind, they are giant and filling, the real-life equivalent of J.R.R Tolkien's Lembas Bread) there is 105mg of sodium, 1g of fibre, 1g of sugar, 2g of protein, 1g of fat, no cholesterol and 60 calories.

Ingredients: Organic whole stone ground spelt flour, filtered water, organic flax seeds (whole and crushed) organic brown cane sugar, organic sunflower oil, magnesium free sea salt, organic sesame seeds.

That's it. Seriously. I suggest eating them with hummus, guacamole or salsa or any other dip - even something sweet instead of savory - because they are definitely heavy and a bit dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment